6,870,000 pageviews


Monday, October 11, 2021

The Benefits of Writing

We [women] have come to think that duty should come first. I disagree. Duty should be a by-product. Writing, the creative effort, the use of the imagination, should come first--at least for some part of every day of your life. It is a wonderful blessing if you will use it. You will become happier, more enlightened, alive, impassioned, light-hearted and generous to everybody else. Even your health will improve. Colds will disappear and all the other ailments of discouragement and boredom.

Brenda Uleland, If You Want to Write, originally published in 1938 

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, Mr. Fisher, but Ms. Uleland is way too simplistic. I have been writing almost every day in my journal since 1965(Yes, I started when I was a fetus, ha ha). I'm a grouchy old harridan. I had a serious heart attack two weeks ago, and I have several other health issues. I love to write and I always will, but writing is not some magic thing that will keep you brimming over with good health and singing your happy song. I forgot the words to mine a long time ago. You write because you like to write and you have something to say, even if it's only to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another thought... I had a heart attack about 3 weeks ago. I quit smoking that day. I am still craving a cigarette... so I grab my tablet and write! It's utter drivel, but it helps for a few minutes to focus on it instead of smoking. That's not some magical thing, just trying real hard!

    ReplyDelete